Re: [SLUG] Something to look at for cable modems..

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 12:30:18 EDT

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 21:09, bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> What most do not realize is that most people now use the Toshiba modems with
> the proprietary DOCSIS and
> even if you have a Motorola modem they now cap at the switch!

They now cap at the switch? When did this start? Who is claiming this?

> So unless you know someone at Road Runner that can slip and change your
> switch you still
> get capped at the source not on your end!

So the claim is that they're rate-limiting at the switch? Per-HFC user
session? According to my sources, this isn't even possible (they are
planning on replacing the Motorola HFC hubs in the near future though).
Real rate-limiting and traffic-shaping upstream can be expensive to
implement.

>From the information I have, this is simply not true.

Beyond the HFC hubs, it's Cisco VXR routers homing back to the GSR
routers at BNS.

> There has been a lot of myths that you can uncap your modem at your end you
> can not.

It's not a myth. You can uncap cablemodems.

At the moment, it is exceedingly difficult however:

1. You need a Motorola SurfBoard 3100 or "hackable" DOCSIS tftp
updatable cablemodem (none of the RoadRunner native cablemodems will
work, you must buy your own).

2. You need to socially engineer your hackable cablemodem onto the
TimeWarner network (making a phonecall, convincing a 2nd/3rd level tech
to let you swap your cablemodem on your account).

3. You need to know what md5 key to respond with to ack your config as a
valid one. This md5 key changes, which means a constant need to
track/crack/find md5 keys. THIS IS THE REAL PAIN BEHIND UNCAPPING.

Then, from what I've been able to gather, you can uncap at will.

Also, from what I've read (and heard from those that should know within
TimeWarner), there is no capping at the head-end.

> If by a freakish chance it was changed and could be done they would catch
> this within 24 hours and you could
> get into allot of trouble.

If you filter SNMP on the cablemodem itself, there should be no way for
them to know (outside of traffic patterns).

> One you are hacking into a piece of equipment that is not yours! Next they
> could press criminal charges!

Right. This is why you are hacking your own cablemodem (which is
hackable) - you return their origional equipment.

Still, you are stealing service, so yes, you are breaking your Terms of
Service agreement.

> Now if you have a friend who works for TW that has a Business class modem
> you could get it to authorize a higher
> bandwidth. How ever again they will catch this very quickly.

Right. TimeWarner Business class. Not RoadRunner Business class, which
has the same bandwidth limitations as residential.

> The best thing that AOL/TW can do is since they Raised the rates is to offer
> more servers and switches to give you higher bandwidth. How ever this will
> never happen.

They've already moved from an OC-12 ring to an OC-192 ring, which should
negate most metro-area bandwidth issues. The other big problem seems to
be the damn GSR switches owned by BNS (Broadband Network Services) over
in Woodland center park. From what I've gathered about the peerings,
it's only to AT&T/Cable Wireless. They need a gigapop, damnit :)

Also, RoadRunner admins their own GSR routers. They like to reboot them
without cause.

> The thing that sucks is that they use to rant and rave how much faster it is
> then DSL now they give you DSL or slower speeds!

It *is* generally as fast as DSL. Often, it is faster. It depends on
your DSL modem/DSLAM type, distance to the DSLAM, and your upstream
provider's network speed.

I've found that TimeWarner on-net, the speeds are incredible. It's only
when I leave the local HFC/ATM network that things really start to slow
down. I really blame their slow and few Internet peerings, and the damn
modem capping.

> This is a bunch of Crap that they pull but as the saying goes the Golden
> rule. He who has the Gold makes the Rule!

Yep. That's how it works.

> Also as mentioned they now rate your speed being so many times faster then a
> 28.8 dialup! <-This is a old standard with the Dinosaur! Next they will go
> back to 14.400 then 2400 baud!

Yep.

> As far as capping speed this should be illegal you pay for something then
> they change the rules and standards at will because in each area they are a
> monopoly! Allot of good the FCC did you have to offer other services yeah
> AOL and Road Runner both
> AOL / TW ran in allot of areas then oh yeah will give you one other ISP to
> use not theirs how ever they are now capping the speeds of Earthlink Cable
> now as well according to the NewsGroups for AOL /TW Roadrunner in tampabay
> area!

It's their dime.

Competition aside (of which there simply is none), they've built a GREAT
network. Hell, most of their ATM gear was bought right out of 2nd
Century Communications, the bleeding-edge ATM company I worked for
previously. They have great equipment, and their engineers *do* know
what they're doing.

Unfortunately, for the consumer, we take what they give us. Try being a
poor sap out in the sticks without cable. Your only hope for broadband
is wireless and satellite.

I'm really hoping 802.11a explodes - 802.11b is still in its infancy for
most consumers. It is our only real hope at non-regulated universal
low-cost high-speed connectivity.. and with the ease of NAT these days,
it's making the TimeWarners of the world run scared (those wireless
connections terminate SOMEWHERE, right? ;)

Now, I could be completely wrong about the uncapping, so take everything
above with a grain of salt. I welcome anyone with facts to dispute any
claims made.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com