Re: [SLUG] port 80 question

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 13:26:49 EDT

Can you get another machine's browser inside your router, on the same
subnet as your server, to the default web page on that server? If no,
server issue. If yes, router issue. (Might try http://127.0.0.1 on the
server's browser too.)

By "opened up port 80", do you mean you are DNATing so that packets
arriving at your WAN-facing interface requesting a connection on port 80
get their header munged so that the destination IP is overwritten with the
destination IP of the server on your LAN and forwarded?

Many people on this list have complained loud and long about RR blocking
ports. You won't find me being a big RoadRunner defender. However, from
where I am, in the Carrolwood area, RR apears to be running wide open,
not blocking jack squat. They're multinetted out the yang, and they block
access to the 10.0.0.0 stuff they seem to run their network gear on, but
they're not blocking any normally customer-visible ports here. If they
start to, I'm going to DSL.

hth
Greg