Re: [SLUG] ZX-80/computer history

From: Tom Suzda (suzda@shawus.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 21:28:39 EDT

Actually, I do. I was working for DEC at the time. Worked there from
1988-1998. But then again, I got into the industry when the COPS processor
from National Semiconductor and the 8080 from Intel was taking hold. My
first computer was an Imsai (sp?) 8080. Ran CP/M, which you booted from
toggle switches on the front panel. I then progressed by building a computer
from chip level. It also ran CP/M. I also had, an original Trash 80, along
with one of their pocket computers, the one with the 40 char. lcd? I don't
remember the name of it. Since then, I wrote IBM BIOS code for a clone
manufacturer, who gave me 8085, 8086, 80286, 80386, and 80486 test systems.
Last year, when I moved down here, I dumped all the old systems in the local
trash bin, from the 8080 systems to the 80386 systems. I now have a 80486
system running coyote linux as a firewall, a 166 MHz Pentium system running
W98, a 166 MHz system running Slackware, a dual 233 MHz System running
Slackware, and a dual 500 MHz XEON PIII system running...W2k. I still have
2- 500 MHz XEON's waiting for another motherboard if I ever want to spend
the cash for them. They keep the room nice and warm at night. I remember the
Wordstar, Lotus, and probably anything else you want to throw at me. Of
course, working for Digital, I also had a PDP-8 & PDP-11 systems at home.
It only took about 15 minutes to boot from tape.

I hope to get to a couple of meetings , but I work all weekend, and the
other half has something to say about the time I'm spending in the 'other
room'.

Regards,

Tom