[SLUG] Getting rid of ASCII 127 in a text file?

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 08:19:49 EDT

Good morning, all --

It must be all the blood polluting my caffeine stream this morning, but
I can't seem to figure out what must be a fairly simple thing to do.

I'm trying to import into Gnumeric a text file with fixed-width fields.
Gnumeric complains that ASCII character 127 was found and concludes that
my locale settings must be wrong. It's plausible that \127 does appear,
and I'd like to remove it wherever it does appear.

When I try grep \127, I get all the lines with 127 in them because \1 =
1. I've also tried grep "\127" and grep '\127'.

How can I get rid of the \127's? If I could figure out how to specify
that character in a regexp, I could use grep, emacs, the Bass-O-Matic,
etc.

Ben
(wishing OpenOffice.org imported fixed-width data into a spreadsheet)