Re: [SLUG] Trouble with Samba configuration

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 06:28:17 EDT

Mark Saunders wrote:

> Thanks Michael, and John.(and everyone else). Looks like I have to get
> current on Linux firewalls. Once I get this all corrected and working
> like I want maybe I can serve up a mini-howto for this kind of
> problem. Ill be keeping some notes.
>
> Mark Saunders
> msaunder@tampabay.rr.com
>
> Michael J. Hoffman wrote:
>
>> John Danielson, II wrote:
>>
>>> man samba-server, after installing it. Linux does not peer-to-peer
>>>
>> well to
>>
>>> Windows boxes. Also, make sure you have holes in your server
>>>
>> "firewall"
>>
>>> for this, please.
>>>

>> I struggled with this on my home network (very similar to Mark's
>> situation) and was about to give up, when I ran across this very same
>> issue. I had spent days and days going over my smb.conf file...
>>
>> The problem was indeed that I had elected for strong firewall protection
>> during the Redhat install, and the firewall was not allowing the smb
>> requests to pass through to the Linux kernel, exactly as John described.
>>
>> Once I became a mini-expert at firewall configuration, I had my machines
>> talking in every direction, including mapping the smb shares as network
>> drives on the Win boxes, and smbfs mounting the win shares under /mnt on
>> the Linux box.
>>
>> MH++
>>
>> ---
>> Michael J. Hoffman
>> "2+2=5, for very large values of 2..."

Any time I can help. And best of luck. A fellow named Robert L. Ziegler
wrote a book called Linux Firewalls. New Riders published it, ISBN
0-7357-1099-6. This is the Second Edition, November 2001. good book,
500+ pages of reliable info that gets into the nitty-gritty.

On http://www.tldp.org/ there are a bunch of security how-tos, and some
links to other info. There is a site dedicated to linux security also,
but suggest you look it up on http://www.google.com/linux with the
search linuxsecurity (as one word) as I forgot the domain and whether it
is truely off-web.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."