Re: [SLUG] What does -lanl- mean

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 21:02:55 EDT

Mikes work account wrote:

>I downloaded kernel-smp-2.4.18-lanl.16.i386.rpm and on two out of three
>cpu it worked just fine. but on the real smp box it gave me a kernel Panic!!
>
>What does the lanl mean??
>
>Michael C. Rock

Micheal, this would appear to be a Los Alamos National Labs dev kernel.
The only hits I got on lanl on the Linux subsearcher on Google traced to
pages sponsored by the above Lab on Linux. as they DO accomplish
computer research as well as weapons testing, this is a possibility. I
could be totally out on a breaking limb here, but I KNOW Los Alamos runs
SMP blade clusters, and the hits were for government sites or
discussions including lanl people.

The problem is, this is NOT usually a code (i386) used for high-end and
recent SMP, most of those are 686 and up these days. I think I will hop
on speakeasy.rpmfind.net and see what else I can find.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."