Re: [SLUG] Quick Apache question

From: Ken Billings (ken@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 12:00:58 EDT

> What could cause Apache to stop running?
>
> I was unable to reach my own site using either its url or ip address so
> I restarted apachectl and now it runs fine. What I want to know is
> what could have killed it to begin with?
>
> What, if anything, would give me a clue in the log files?
>
> Bill

I just experienced the exact same thing last weekend. One of the people I
host called me up to tell me her website was down. Nothing in the kernel
logs about httpd stopping, but none of the httpd processes were running.
The apache logs just show requests being served up until the time the
server quit. Manually restarting apache "solved" the problem, but of
course that doesn't permanently fix it or explain why the thing just
crapped out. I haven't had _any_ problems like this before or since.I'm using Redhat's apache-1.3.22-6.rpm. Is this a known issue?

-Ken