Re: [SLUG] Mail return - what does it mean?

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 15:10:08 EDT

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Smitty wrote:

> Russ, I attempted to send this directly to you and it was returned. Do you
> have something configured on your servers to reject the verizon.net domain?

no, not at all -- when I killfile someone or a domain, a
different message is returned -- only proven open relays.

As to IP 206.46.170.103, see:
  http://www.dsbl.org/message.php?id=912726

You may wish to ask your ISP why they add to the spam flood,
by NOT running SMTP-AUTH and closing their open relays. See:
  http://www.owlriver.com/tips/smtp-auth.html if you use a
modern Free operating system for setup and debugging
instructions.

------------

On Thursday 27 June 2002 21:22, R P Herrold wrote:

> [root@couch mirror]# \ls -al `which cc `
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 10 19:51 \
> /usr/bin/cc -> gcc
> [root@couch mirror]#

not 'scripting per se -- it is a backtick sub shell which runs
the 'which' command, returning in our example an argument with
the fully qualified path of the first found 'cc' binary in
the executable PATH.

I believe it generally available in POSIX compliant /bin/sh
implementations. I use that form of expression, so I don't
need to remember when a given *nix or Unix keeps its binaries.
I let the host do it.

-- Russ Herrold