Re: [SLUG] Need some guidance

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 22:07:14 EDT

On Monday 01 July 2002 21:38, Chuck Hast wrote:
> I am presently running all my system on a 40G HD. I want to
> move that to another machine and use it as a file server, I have
> a 20G HD I want to use as my local machine. What will be the best
> way to move what I have to the 20G HD as far as my personal
> stuff?
> I am running RH 7.2 on the present system and am going to put
> 7.3 on the 20G box.
>
> Should I just build up the 20G box and then put the 40G Hd in
> it, move everything there then put it back, format it and set it up
> as a server? that is what I am inclined to do.

That will work, you can also leave it alone and use scp top copy it over to
your new box. Assuming you are talking about your user dir. Otherwise I'd
build the new box from scratch and then add the user dir.

> I also am presently running the KDE mail client, but want to try
> Evolution, is there a way to move all of my mail files to Evolution
> or do I just have to start out new?

Just beware, I've read a number of complaints about instability. See
mailinglist. It should import it though.

> When I am done, the 40G drive will be my file server and also
> I want to set up a mail server and a small web server on it, am
> I asking too much of it? (it will be a 300MHz system with 256M
> of RAM)

Nah, will be fine. A 486 can fill a T1. Keep X off it though, It needs a lot
of RAM and CPU. Plus it's to easy to leave a security hole. Why 40G on the
server though? Sounds like you could do well on a 4G drive. RAM is more
important than disk space, and you have 256 so it will probably be just fine.

Install Tripwire and Snort then have syslog (-h) log to another box too.
Don't leave any ports open, or services running, that are not absolutely
needed. (Your best bet for a firewall is OpenBSD. In a class of it's own...)

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.