Re: [SLUG] Need some guidance

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 23:05:17 EDT

On Monday 01 July 2002 22:38, Chuck Hast wrote:
> OK I will check it out, amoung other things I am going to try to build
> up a machine that "looks" like a windows box so I can try to get it
> into the office as a desktop and show them we do not have to give
> the Microsoft Vampire so much money to do day to day things.

The worst that could happen would probably be the Linux box locking up. Test
it WELL before showing off! I put guy on jorganizer and it apparently lost a
bunch of data. I reported it to KDE but he refused to touch it after that.

> I do not plan to run X on it, may use it every once in a while, but I set
> up all my machines to come up in command line THEN if I want X I start it
> up for the duration of the time I am at the console. I will do more stuff
> with WebAdmin than X for that sort of thing.

If this is accessable by the public you don't want to leave any compilers and
otherwise useful tools for hackers to use. Setup a Demiliterized Zone with a
firewall on each side of it. Drop the web server in the middle and your LAN
after the second. Use NAT on both subnets. You want to use stateless
inspection as much as possible to the open world. Again OpenBSD is in a class
of it's own. 32MB works. Linux is also getting very well known and root kits
come out every now and then. Look at the track record of OpenBSD.

Remember you have two things on ANY permanent connection that is valuable to
hackers: Someone elses identity to attack from, and a place to store tools
on. That can cause you enough headache without even having your data lost or
altered.

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.