Re: [SLUG] Rookie needs help

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 03:02:08 EDT

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 jonesrogerd@hotmail.com wrote:

> Thats what I did, the mandrake page sent me to an ftp page, copied all of it
> from there then burned it to a disk.

You downloaded ISO images, right? Mandrake 8.2 download edition comes on
3 CDs. The ISO images to download and burn to CD are called:
Mandrake82-cd1-inst.i586.iso
Mandrake82-cd2-ext.i586.iso
Mandrake82-cd3-supp.i586.iso
There's also an md5sums.82 file and a README file.

Those files can be had here:
ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mandrake/Mandrake/iso/

or from many other mirrors:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftptmp/1026022920.7a072b8399e880d26cce3c6557971ef7.php#iso

I'm a little concerned about how you say, "copied all of it from there
then burned it to a disk". Sounds like you may have been downloading
individual files that are contained in the ISO images. You might miss
some. It will then complain about missing RPMs during install. Did you
latch on to the directory tree used for an FTP install? Installing from
CD is usually easier.

Most install options don't need disk 3, but most need the first 2. Each ISO
image fills one CD and downloads as one file. You burn the whole *.iso
file to the CD at once.

Hope it's not just that I misunderstood you,

Greg