Re: [SLUG] NVIDIA vs ATi

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 17:17:26 EDT

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 16:38, Russ Wright wrote:
> OK so when I'm not slaving away over web development I like to goof off by
> playing Unreal Tournament. Xfree has drivers for both, and Nvidia actually
> released their own modules.
>
> So now my question, what is your experience with this sort of stuff? Which is
> better ATI or NVIDIA?

ATI = open hardware specs which is good, and built-in kernel/XFree86 DRI
support:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/status.phtml
while...
Nvidia = closed harware specs which can be considered bad, BUT the
Nvidia supplied Linux drivers are the same code base used in the Windows
world:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux

>From my experience with both the ATI Radeon and Nvidia GeForce 2/3
cards, I have noticed better 3D performance/frame rates with the Nvidia
cards, than the couple ATI Radeon cards (with DRI) I have tried. I have
played Quake III and the new Castle Wolfenstein on both video cards and
preferred the performance from the Nvidia chipsets.

I have no experience specifically with the laptop video card chipsets,
though -- performance may differ.

HTH

--
Matt Miller