Re: [SLUG] July 10th Meeting

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 00:22:12 EDT

Thus spake Jeff Skube on the 08 day of the 07 month in the year 2002:

> Now with apt4rpm there isnt much difference. Very cool stuff.
> www.apt4rpm.sourceforge.net
>
> Jeff

I'm going to briefly be talking about this. The rpm port is quite
impressive, but you're still stuck with some baggage from rpm which
will make a difference during upgrades. Most notably, rpm is missing
some types of dependencies. You'll end up having to manually sort
things out when apt doesn't have enough information provided by the .rpm's.

Additionally, AFAIK, the only distribution actually supporting this is
Connectiva (the folks who initially did the port). Without support from
your distribution, I can't imagine things being clean over a long period
of time between major version upgrades.

With the number of .debs out there, there's not much advantage to RPM
format. Especially when you consider the number of times you'll end up
doing "--nodeps --force" to get things to install, screwing up your
dependencies in the process. And with Debian, should you really feel
the need to install an RPM, you can with the alien utility.

Drop by on Wednesday for a more complete overview.

--
Matt Moen

Debating Unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with turpentine sauce.