Re: [SLUG] Tampa's Presentation

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 23:16:13 EDT

Thus spake Paul M Foster on the 11 day of the 07 month in the year 2002:

snip

> One clarification I should make to a question that was asked. Debian 2.2
> runs on the 2.0 series kernel. It has since been updated by various
> 2.2rX releases, which may use later kernels. But the original Debian 2.2
> uses the 2.0 series.

For further clarification, if you install Debian stable (a.k.a. potato)
over the 'net now, you'll be installing Debian Linux 2.2rev6. This version
comes with the 2.2.19 version of the Linux kernel.

These days, you probably instead want Debian version 2.4 (a.k.a. woody)
as it will be officially released "Real Soon Now" (TM). Keeping up to
date with Debian is near trivial, so there is no real reason not to use
Woody at this point unless you're running a production server.

A point I meant to make last night was that these code names (buzz,
rex, bo, hamm, slink, potato, woody and sid) come from the Toy Story
movies in the event you didn't figure it out. Once upon a time Bruce
Perens was head Debian Project maintainer and also happened to work for
Pixar at the time.

As promised I'll try to get the slides up on the web some time this
weekend.

--
Matthew Moen