Re: [SLUG] Tampa's Presentation

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 01:32:07 EDT

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:59:44PM -0400, Marc W. wrote:

> After hearing Mike's speil on irc (irc.openprojects.net, #sunlug), I
> gave deb a try.
>
> Well, I guess I screwed it up a bit

<snip>

> I'm patiently waiting for the slides Matt has promised to see if Debian
> is *possibly* a viable alternative to my slackware-sadism-ish ways.

<snip>

Debian is not for the faint of heart or for newbies. It is
well-engineered, but IMHO unless you know what you're doing, I suggest
buying cheapbytes disks and going from there. (You can upgrade over the
net, once you get the 2.2.X version installed.) As you can see it's
simple to screw things up, and I've mangled two upgrades myself.

Debian vs slackware? Volkerding purposely has hacked Slackware to be as
much like *nix as possible. He's also thumbed his nose at the LSB
project. And as you know, slack packages can be a real pain to install.
OTOH, Volkerding has a much faster release cycle than Debian.

Debian has package installation, dependencies and upgrades down to a
fine art. It's also a very fat distro, perhaps only second to SuSE in
that respect. A lot of Debian maintainers have taken a lot of time over
the years to make sure that Debian is easy to maintain, as well. But
again, you need to know what you're doing, just like you do with
Slackware. The guys at NKS run Debian, and that's a pretty good
recommendation.

Paul