Re: [SLUG] wine help

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 15:31:39 EDT

Mike Manchester wrote:
> Ronan;
> I got it to work, but I'm not happy with what I had to do to get it
> working. I had to change the owner and group for the wine/fake_windows
> to root. Who do you have has a owner and group?
> Thanks
> Mike M.
>

> Ronan Heffernan wrote:
>
>> Mike Manchester wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to run wine using the fake_windows. But it seems like
>>> everything I try to install complains about not being able to create
>>> a directory during install. I've checked the permissions for the
>>> /home/wine/fake_windows and I as a user have rwx for the dir as well
>>> as being the group and owner. Does anyone have this kind of setup
>>> running? I hope I don't need a true windows partition to get this to
>>> work as my machine now is Linux only and it would mean a major
>>> backup, re-partition and install to have a windows partition. Or at
>>> least one that is bootable. Maybe I can just create a dos type
>>> partition with fdisk and install windows using wine from Linux. Don't
>>> know if that will work or not. Anyway and ideas, hints tips would be
>>> appricated.
>>>
>>> Mike M.
>>

>> I have a fake_windows setup, and it works fine. Make sure that the
>> fake_windows directory is actually set to be your C: drive. Do you
>> have a "temp" space set (ie c:\\windows\\temp)? That could cause real
>> problems during a Win32 software install.
>>
>> --ronan

Both ~/.wine and ~/.wine/fake_windows are owned by ronan:users and mod
755 (these directories were created by the original SuSE 7.3 installer,
which installed and configured Wine automatically). Note that the way
this is installed, my Wine config file is also located in ~/.wine (do
you have a per-user config file, or a global config file?).

--ronan