Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Repair

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 04:20:26 EDT

> Does anyone know how to get a hard drive to unfreeze after nonusage for 3 to 5
> years?

   One possible cure to open the cover and carefully rock the platters
back and fourth 1/64" with a clean finger on the edges of them, while
watching all of the heads.
   Setting parked for a while can make one or more heads stick to the
platters just because the mirror smooth surfaces are so parallel.
(called by some `stick-shon') If one or more was stuck, and is now free
replace the cover, if it can start turning on it's own, you should be
good to go. Be very gentle.

Your mileage may vary. (Don't blame me if you break it!)

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm