Re: [SLUG] hn.org and ddclient

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 10:24:39 EDT

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 09:42, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, I've gotten myself a domain name, and I can manually update the ip
> address at the hn.org web page, but I can't figure out how to get ddclient to
> do it. Can someone send me a sample ddclient.conf?

I don't run ddclient personally, so I can't supply you with a sample
conf file, but here is a list of troubleshooting tips I stumbled onto:

TROUBLESHOOTING:

  1. enable debugging and verbose messages.
        $ ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet

  2. Do you need to specify a proxy?
     If so, just add a
        proxy=your.isp.proxy
     to the ddclient.conf file.

  3. Define the IP address of your router with fw=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in
     /etc/ddclient.conf and then try
            $ ddclient -daemon=0 -query
     to see if the router status web page can be understood.

  4. Need support for another router/firewall?
     Define the router status page yourself with:
        fw=url-to-your-routers-status-page
        fw-skip=any-string-preceeding-your-IP-address

     ddclient does something like this to provide builtin support for
     common routers.
     For example, the Linksys routers could have been added with:
        fw=192.168.1.1/Status.htm
        fw-skip=WAN.*?IP Address

     OR
     Send me the output from:
      $ ddclient -geturl {fw-ip-status-url} [-login login [-password
password]]
     and I'll add it to the next release!

     ie. for my fw/router I used:
        $ ddclient -geturl 192.168.1.254/status.htm

  5. Some broadband routers require the use of a password when ddclient
     accesses it's status page to determine the router's WAN IP address.
     If this is the case for your router, add
        fw-login=your-router-login
        fw-password=your-router-password
     to the beginning of your ddclient.conf file.
     Note that some routers use either 'root' or 'admin' as their login
     while some others accept anything.

USING DDCLIENT WITH ppp

If you ar using a ppp connection, you can easily update your DynDNS
entry with each connection, with:
  ## configure pppd to update DynDNS with each connection
  cp sample-etc_ppp_ip-up.local /etc/ppp/ip-up.local

Alternatively, you may just configure ddclient to operate as a daemon
and monitor your ppp interface.

USING DDCLIENT WITH cron

If you have not configured ddclient to use daemon-mode, you'll need to
configure cron to force an update once a month so that the dns entry
will
not become stale.

  ## configure cron to force an update twice a month
  cp sample-etc_cron.d_ddclient /etc/cron.d/ddclient
  vi /etc/cron.d/ddclient

USING DDCLIENT WITH dhcpcd-1.3.17

If you are using dhcpcd-1.3.17 or thereabouts, you can easily update
your DynDNS entry automatically every time your lease is obtained
or renewed by creating an executable file named:
  /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-{your-interface}.exe
ie.:
  cp sample-etc_dhcpc_dhcpcd-eth0.exe
/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-{your-interface}.exe

In my case, it is named dhcpcd-eth0.exe and contains the lines:
  #!/bin/sh
  PATH=/usr/sbin:/root/bin:${PATH}
  logger -t dhcpcd IP address changed to $1
  ddclient -proxy fasthttp.sympatico.ca -wildcard -ip $1 | logger -t
ddclient
  exit 0

Other DHCP clients may have another method of calling out to programs
for updating DNS entries.

Alternatively, you may just configure ddclient to operate as a daemon
and monitor your ethernet interface.

USING DDCLIENT WITH dhclient

If you are using the ISC DHCP client (dhclient) or thereabouts, you can
update
your DynDNS entry automatically every time your lease is obtained
or renewed by creating an executable file named:
  /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
ie.:
  cp sample-etc_dhclient-enter-hooks /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks

Edit edit /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks to change any options required.

Alternatively, you may just configure ddclient to operate as a daemon
and monitor your ethernet interface.

HTH

--
Matt Miller