Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Repair

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 00:32:33 EDT

Ben, I think this is a power issue with the HD. I've had floppy disk
drives cause my systems not to POST! I believe a short in a power
connector trips a safety feature in the switching power supply making
it not send power. I forget though if it only sends power to the
motherboard but not peripherals. I seem to remember it's the whole
thing.

See if there's a short early in the traces going from the HD power
connector, or how about trying to transplant the drive electronics
with an exact one from an auction site or something? The connection
to the servo and voice coils are usually are made with quick
connections and phenyl(?) cable. I think a search for the drive model
number might turn up some hits.

Mario