Re: [SLUG] Computers and SLUG-Sarasota

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 16:45:54 EDT

Ian hit it right on the nose.
The Job market here in Tampa right now SUCKS.
I just got done working with Walter Industries AKA Jim Walter Homes for 4
years they laid me off and I was the Only PC support
Tech for 140 + Locations and then I was suppose to go to the Networking
side. They decided due to the Economy to cut back to 3 people for supporting
over 6000+ people. They then out source the rest when ever a project come
along.

Since October 5th of last year I have been looking for work. The only thing
that was good out of this is The Operation Paycheck.
Gets you free training to get back to work I took the sorry to say M.C.S.E.
because it is now around $11,000.00 worth of free training.

They did not have any Linux stuff ready for this when I went. Any ways I
have tried Head Hunters Posting Resume on Monster , Brain Buzz and Dice
nothing. I have hit every Agency I can find believe me there is a ton of
them . They have nothing ! The Tampa Tribune for I.T. related Jobs is down
beyond
belief. Usually the only jobs is coders , Synergy which has ran their ad for
months. and Two others and time to time AOL desk Support.

Until these Companies stop cutting more and more and think that helps the
economy it is getting worse. Any ways I can tell you with over 9 Years of
Computer and I.T. experience and Certifications as Ian said the market
SUCKS. Also this is not just here it is almost every where.

As I E-Mailed Bob Weinstien who writes I.T. Articles who Tampa Tribune also
publishes. He about 4 weeks ago said the jobs are out there I basically told
him not In this Area or 4 others I have looked. Tampa Dead, Orlando Dead,
Charlotte North Carolina Dead, even Raleigh NC is dead right now.

So I will wish you Luck.

Hopefully when Next Month I am done with my M.C.S.E. at USF and with my
other Certs the market will start slowly moving. Right now it is going in
reverse. BTW Intel cutting 4,000 people. :(( This has to end!

Good Luck to you.