Re: [SLUG] MCSE certification & System Analyst position

From: Darr Palmer (darr@darrpalmer.com)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 06:53:16 EDT

It is a no brainer if they are paying for it!

If you have to foot the bill, I would probably suggest that it may not be
worth it. Unfortunately with all the cert mills out there cranking at full
speed the MCSE has lost some of its luster. In fact in the most recent
Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine, Linux cert salaries came in at
CompTIA Linux $72,300 and RHCE at $74,600. My little MCSE W2K just carries
$47,000 for a 3 to 4 year IT pro. (Although in this economy I am only
pulling about 80% of that value in Tampa).

Now all these numbers are arbitrary based on the basic disclaimers, but still
if I had to choose between investing in an MCSE or a Linux cert, I think I
would lean towards the Linux. (Actually, I am currently working on my LPI
cert at this time)

In addition, since I am somewhat unhappy where I am currently employed, I was
browsing the want ads in Florida. 14 Linux keyword hits, 11 MC* keyword hits.

I am thrilled with the amount of press that Linux is getting in the past year
or so. The company I work for is finally (although reluctantly) allowing me
to put Linux boxes in place for customers that just don't have the money for
a M$ based File or Web server.

If your company is willing to pay for the training, and if you are
comfortable in a fast paced, heavy content, extreme hands on training I would
suggest considering one of the better boot camps that are offered. Not a
cert mill, but a legitimate boot camp such as Intense Schools in Ft.
Lauderdale. I have never been unhappy with any of their graduates that I
have worked with.

IMHO

Darr