Re: [SLUG] Port Probing Tool Needed

From: Martin C. Messer (marty@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 11:23:35 EDT

Hey Dave,

On Linux, nmap and and nmapfe (a GUI to nmap) are quite easy to use. As
root you see a device's open ports using:

% nmap -sS -O 127.0.0.1

The -sS option means it is in SYN stealth mode, which is handy when you
don't want to set off your own traps (this sort of scan is still
detectable, so don't assume you're really invisible). -O will tell you
what OS nmap thinks is running on the device, which is always
interesting.

There are many other options, which 'man nmap' can explain better than
I.

--
Martin C. Messer   | marty@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.      | Information Systems & Technologies