RE: [SLUG] Port Probing Tool Needed

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 12:53:54 EDT

> PS, you may want to check out
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers for a complete list of port
> numbers.

Good advice, and here's a shaker of salt. Some programs use ports on
that list without bothering to apply for them, so what you think of as
obscure ports (222, 1911, 5050) are reasonably common in our office
because our vendor didn't realize that they should be using high ports
or apply for a number. I think a movie quote is appropriate here:

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you
know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few
people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement."

I seem to remember something like this appearing in a video game, too,
though I can't remember which.

Ben