Re: [SLUG] Star Office and Open Office

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 09:08:57 EDT

On Thursday 25 July 2002 03:46, Bill wrote:
> On Thursday 25 July 2002 00:42, you wrote:
> > OK guys I know this maybe a dumb question but what is the difference
> > between Open Office and Star Office? Aren't both by Sun?
> >
> > What would you recommend out of Star, Open, or KOffice?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Jason
>
> Both by Sun, both share a common code base. Star includes some licensed
> proprietary code that can not be GPL'd because Sun doesn't own it.
>
> I use Open Office simply because there was a big gap between the close of
> the beta program for Star and the time it was available for sale ... and
> their license extensions on the beta did not stretch far enough. Open
> Office does all I need it to do ... and probably all 90% of people would
> need. It has a couple of minor quirks and could run a tad faster ... but
> that is true for every suite I have ever encountered.
>
> It has been a long time since I looked at another product so I don't think
> my observations on Koffice would hold much water anyway.

Best to look at this from a users point of view.

Open Office is great if you only use it in your box and you do not have to
send files to and receive files from a MS box.

If you have to interact with an MS box then you should strongly consider
acquiring Star Office as Open Office's translator for MS Office does not
function correctly most of the time.

Frank