Re: [SLUG] What eth driver?

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 05:06:37 EDT

Bill wrote:
> I have just upgraded my spare box from 2.4.3 to 2.4.18. Under 2.4.3 the
> network card was automatically detected and installed.
>
> However, I didn't see it listed on the configuration menu for 2.4.18 so I
> took a wild (wrong) guess. Rather than doing a LOT of trial & error compiles,
> can anyone tell me 1) how to get Linux to tell me what actual driver is being
> used? or, 2) what card a LNE100TX should install as?
>
> I am tired. The monitor is dancig in front of my eyes and I want to go to
> bed. But I also want to get this taken care of.

Try looking on /etc/modules.conf to see what kernel module is loaded for
eth0. It is likely that the module for your ethernet card was not built
when you compiled your new kernel, otherwise the new kernel should have
automatically loaded the correct module persuant to /etc/modules.conf.

When you upgrade kernels, you should probably keep the last two or three
kernels available (add a new entry in lilo.conf for your new kernel, so
that you can always boot into your old kernel(s)). If your old kernel
is still available, you can boot into the old kernel and run lsmod.

If your ethernet card is PCI, you can get quite a bit of info by running
"lspci -v". This also works for on-board devices, as long as the
motherboard talks to those devices via the PCI bus (almost always the case?)

--ronan