Re: [SLUG] Star Office and Open Office

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 12:18:23 EDT

On Friday 26 July 2002 05:25, you wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> >On Thursday 25 July 2002 20:43, you wrote:
> >>Have you found any problem with saving files saved with openoffice in
> >>MSOffice. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I modified in OpenOffice and
> >>opened it in MSOffice 2k with now problem, but when I try to save it
> >>from MSOffice 2k Execl GPF's.
> >>Mike M
> >
> >Cool. A document trojan. :-)
> >
> >Did you change it in MSO2K or is there a setting in OpenOffice that will
> > do this all on its own?
>
> Didn't change anything except some text in the spreadsheet. Sent it to a
> Windows machine and opened the file made a change and presto changeo CPFed.

<--- grinning & drooling .... does it go belly up if it's not changed in
Excel but only read and closed or is it that Excel can't write the file?

If WIndows and the other programs from MSFT were of higher quality (read:
fewer significant defects) this would be very interesting news and lead to a
great deal of debate about whose fault it is and how to fix it. As things
are, though, hardly anyone cares. As OpenOffice / StarOffice take a bigger
share of the desktop, the problem is going to become more apparent and my
hunch is that, after loudly pointing thousands of fingers at SUN in press
releases and news conferences, MSFT will quietly fix it.

Bill

--
 12:07pm  up 10 days, 11:30,  3 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.06, 0.01

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.