Re: [SLUG] Suse 8.0

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 23:54:25 EDT

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:46:17PM -0400, Jason Pratt wrote:

<snip>

> I hear the
> praises of apt-get and how much easier it is to install software on it then
> on an RPM based distro.

There was _just_ a thread on the Debian list about apt on RPM distros.
The concensus was that it's not quite ready for prime time. Almost
there, but use with caution.

<opinion>

Apt/dpkg/deb is far superior for upgrading than any other method I know
of. I just installed the 2 year old Debian 2.2 by CDROM, and then
upgraded to the new 3.0 via the internet (DSL). Pretty painless and no
major hitches. I dislike paying money every six months to stay on top of
the latest RH or other releases. With apt/dpkg/deb, I don't have to pay
and the upgrade can be gradual if necessary.

A basic install of Debian via dselect is cumbersome, and requires
intimate knowledge of your hardware. It's not for newbies, unless
they've changed things in 3.0.

The folks doing development on RPM are trying to make its feature set
richer and its interface more painless. But this isn't Red Hat's main
emphasis. OTOH, with Debian, it's a big deal. I'd venture to say that
most people who install Debian don't do so via CDROMs. They actually do
an upgrade over a previously installed version. I don't think that's
true of Red Hat users.

</opinion>

Paul