Re: [SLUG] SLUG webhost -- time of outage

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 01:10:29 EDT

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Paul Hostetler wrote:

> The Slug site is down again and Russ Herrold (AKA "The Out of Towner") has
> been notified. I knew something was amiss when the public radio station
> (where the box is located) was off the air this morning. The station was
> back up and broadcasting later in the day but the server remains
> unavailable. Phone calls to the station went unanswered.

I am back now. My calls to certain non-published back lines
were also unanswered. I was in DC when Paul called, working
on a Linux project. The unit has been up continuously this
time:

[herrold@stones herrold]$ uptime
  1:03am up 6 days, 16:20, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.28, 0.19
[herrold@stones herrold]$

but was unable to reach outside for reasons beyond my ken.
The next hop upstream denies any outages, but my tracing say
different.

The public radio station had the additional (unrelated)
misfortune of some construction workers shearing away its
power cables in a downtown skyscraper on Thursday -- that site
is two miles from the SLUG host, and the two are (hopefully)
unrelated, but it was off air with a double whammy.

The COLUG and SLUG websites were briefly displaced from
appearing as virthosts, due to DNS failures -- these almost
HAVE to be due to an outage by the telco which the lines run
through (SBC/Ameritech) or OET (the internet next hop
upstream.)

Neither will 'fess up.-- Russ