Re: [SLUG] Proftpd question

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 00:14:28 EDT

On Monday 29 July 2002 20:54, you wrote:
> On Monday 29 July 2002 06:44 pm, you wrote:
> > Nahhhhhhhh -- I don't know about Macs, but there are SSH clients for
> > Windows machines, too.
> >
> > Take a look here, for starters, and then google for 'ssh client'
>
> Where can I find info on setting this up on my Mandrake install. I use
> DtDNS (http://www.dtdns.com) as my service for my non-static IP. Can I use
> it for my ftrl.darktech.org address, so they can access the machine? Also
> what port does it use so I can open it up on my router?
>
> Thanks..
>
> -J

_Probably_ it is already installed. An easy way to check to see if it is
installed is to type 'ssh' at a cli prompt. If it is installed, you will get
the "help" list (because 'ssh' all by itself isn't a valid command syntax).
Take a look at 'man ssh' for useage info.

If not, take a look at Mandrake Update and set it to show Uninstalled
programs. You can also run 'rpm -qa | grep openssh' then use the rpm
installer to breathe the breath of life into them. :-)

The Windows machines will need Putty (or similar) running and there is a Mac
implementation called MacSSH available from the link that Steve provided.
(Good link, Steve!)

I don't know what port it runs over. At present, I simply use it internally
from one IP address to the other and there is no entry for it in my
forwarding table on my router. When I used to use it from school to home, I
don't recall having to key a port ... just "ssh 111.22.333.44"

IIRC that would give me a login prompt.

--
 11:56pm  up 14 days, 23:19,  5 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.10, 0.05

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.