[SLUG] Building a web appliance

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 16:07:53 EDT

Folks;
I have in my hands a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT machine, it
is a 133mhz pentium, and they only has 16m of ram, which
may be expanded up to a total of 144M. I am thinking of using
one as a web appliance, What route would one go to do so? The
ram is EDO and looks like I will have to order it, I can get
it in 64m chunks, but would like to do with only whatever I
need, does anyone know a place locally that might have ram for
these boxes? The little machine would make something that
my wife can use the check the bank acount and make sure she
does not run her ATM card into the red... 8=]

What would be small enough to fit into that machine and allow
for a web browser type operation and that is about all? I would
like for it to still be reasonably fast.

I will try to scrounge more memory for it if I can.

Chuck Hast
Telecomms Consultant, Utility Partners.
WEB www.utilpart.com
Office number: 813.282.8828 x 1175
C-phone number: 813.765.6743
E-mail: wchast@utilpart.com
SMS < 150 characters: 8137656743@mobile.att.net
ARS KP4DJT

To paraphrase my flight instructor;
"the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going out
and
having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn and twisted
metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com