Re: [SLUG] Scanner Setup

From: Logan Tygart (ltygart@aperioservices.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 11:49:36 EDT

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 09:03, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> I hope some kind hearted person will provided what elementary assistance I
> need in order to set up the scanner.
>
> Hardware - HP Scanjet 6100C connected to computer through SCSI card.
>
> Clicking on xscanimage says that there is no scanner recognized.
>
> Outside the knowledge that Xsane comes in to play here somehow my knowledge is
> depleted.

First, use dmesg, to make sure your scanner was recognized. It will say
something to the effect of HP Scanjet sg0 (scsi generic 0) Next, you
need to go to your sane directory and modify a few files. On my machine
sane is located in /opt/sane-1.0.6

cd /opt/sane(yourversionhere)/etc/sane.d

edit hp.conf and make sure it says scsi hp and also the device indicated
by the dmesg from above e.g. /dev/sg0

edit net.conf and ensure everything is commented out since your scanner
is hooked up locally.

edit dll.conf and comment everything out except hp and pnm. I like to
leave pnm uncommented to help out when we run a test to make sure the
scanner is recognized.

edit saned.conf and make sure localhost and the HOSTNAME of your machine
is there

Make sure you have the follow line in your /etc/services

sane 6566/tcp # insane scanner daemon

Make sure you have this in inetd.conf if you wish to have a client
machine use the scanner:

sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

Note: If you made ajustments to your /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf
you should probably reboot but most definitely restart your inetd.

        Now cd /opt/sane(yourversion)/bin and type the following command:

scanimage -L

You should definitely see the pnm and hopefully find your scanner. ;-)

Hope this was helpful and not incessant rambling, as my coffee still
isn't kicking in yet!

--
Logan Tygart
Systems Administrator/Analyst/Engineer