Re: [SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 04:48:57 EDT

>>The good thing about Java though, particularly non-GUI Java apps,
>

> Umm, excuse some dumb questions. I've never coded in Java. I only know
> that it resembles C++ but does its own garbage collection. And that
> browsers can run Java apps if there's a Java runtime and the browser has
> Java enabled.
>
> So based on your post, is it true that you can run a Java app outside a
> browser? Second question is: how is it that you can have a "non-GUI"
> java app? Like one that could run in a curses environment? Or when you
> say "non-GUI", you really mean "has to run in X, but doesn't need a
> mouse to work"?
>
> Paul

You can have non-GUI apps that use stdin/stdout and argv[], but I don't
think that there is anything equivalent to curses (all of the cursing
done in JAVA is by frustrated developers). You could implement
something like PostgreSQL's psql application (command-line), though
probably without the readline library functionality.

--ronan