Re: [SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Tim Jones (tim@timjones.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 09:10:20 EDT

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 02:11, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:
> My winblows chums tell me every Java applets is a running program
> capable of doing what ever it wants, including planting worms and time
> bombs, so they don't enable Java in Netscape, what kind of security
> problem is Java as it is used in Netscape, in the LINUX environment?

With the broken JVM in MSIE, that is very possibly true :-). The JVM in
any other browser is in a "sandboxed" environment. You have to do things
like "applet signing" and explicitly give elevated permissions for applets to
do things like connect to a server OTHER than where it was downloaded, read &
write local files, etc.

Java as an APPLICATION, can do anything it wants - it's like any other user
program, on Linux, Solaris or Windows.

As for Java coding, I'd be glad to help anyone with anything - post away! (now
that I seem to have found my little niche here).

Tim

Timothy Jones - tim@timjones.com / tjones@tsiconnections.com
Unix/Linux/Java Programmer/DBA/SystemAdmin & Brasswind Player