Re: [SLUG] Scanner Setup

From: Logan Tygart (ltygart@aperioservices.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 12:02:48 EDT

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 19:47, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
<snip previous dialog>
<snip some of the boot.log>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
>
> ***** Is this a problem ? *****
>
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0e.0
> IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.2, have irq 5, want irq 11
> IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.3, have irq 5, want irq 11
> scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.5
> <Adaptec 2902/04/10/15/20/30C SCSI adapter>
> aic7850: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs
>
> ***** Shouldn't the recognination of the SCSI-devices appear here? *****

Yes, you are correct, it should say it loaded the SCSI driver and is
happy and the following devices are connected and happy etc etc...
I think you definitely have some IRQ conflict issues here. I sometimes
cure these types of errors by turning off AUTO in my BIOS for IRQ
handling and allow the adapter to choose its own IRQ. Possibly someone
else on the list may have a few different suggestions.

> usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2
> IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.2, have irq 5, want irq 11
> IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.3, have irq 5, want irq 11
>
> ***** Is there a problem here? *****

Yes, you definitely have some IRQ issues going on in your box. Looks
like a couple of your devices really want to use IRQ 11.

> hub.c: 2 ports detected
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.3
> IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.2, have irq 5, want irq 11
> IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.3, have irq 5, want irq 11
>
> ***** Is there a problem here? *****

<snip more IRQ conflict messages and start of EXT3>

> Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded
> scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> Vendor: MITSUMI Model: CD-ROM FX4830T!B Rev: R02C
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Vendor: SONY Model: CD-RW CRX175E2 Rev: S002
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> ***** Shouldn't this one shows the attached *****
> ***** "SCSI"-devices not the *****
> ***** ide-scsi-emulation ? *****

This is correct if you have a CD burner, it has to emulate SCSI to
accomplish burning.

<snip rest of boot.log>

I think you need to resolve some IRQ problems in the BIOS so the kernel
can load modules and be happy. If you disable the autodetect IRQ in the
BIOS this may resolve your perplexity, but you may also have to do some
jumpering to set IRQs on your cards or adjust them through their own
ROMS e.g. Adaptec SCSI adapters typically allow you to do this at boot
time through its own setup.

> Thanks again for the help.

No problem and I hope this actually does help!

--
Logan Tygart
Systems Administrator/Analyst/Engineer