Re: [SLUG] Min Disk Space for Redhat 7.3

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 22:14:14 EDT

On Monday 12 August 2002 17:23, steve wrote:
> On Monday 12 August 2002 00:13, gcook1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > What is the min disk space required to do a Redhat 7.3 with limited
> > features?
>
> I created a 7.3 server on about 450-500M, adding X it shoots up to
> about 1.2G. This does not include swap space or anything but the
> install.

Mind you, I could have stripped out more. You need to clearly define
what you need. F.ex. compilers don't belong on production servers as
they give any hackers native tools to do build their handy work.

Any features not needed should not be there. I have a multiboot computer
where I can build and test any setup. Pick the server, and then work
through removing until down to bare bones.

Something very handy to master is the Installation script that comes w
RH. Copy all CDs to a harddisk and do the install from your scripts.
Now you can really get into fine tuning as there's no longer the
repetitive work of removing and removing and removing packages...

Of course chances are that you don't care that much, and happy to ge in
under 500M. Though you could get in under 250 with simple needs... : )

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.