RE: [SLUG] Here's a crazy idea...

From: David R. Meyer (david@crbtechnologies.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 16:15:36 EDT

Count me in...

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: slug@lists.nks.net [mailto:slug@lists.nks.net]On Behalf Of Ian C.
Blenke
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 3:43 PM
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: RE: [SLUG] Here's a crazy idea...

There are many ISP COOPs out there that were founded by geeks in a
community in just this way. This sounds like the beginnings of a
tpawireless project to me :) I have a few online buddies that started
the pdxwireless effort way back before they managed to get messed up
with the personaltelco fiasco. It really wouldn't be hard to do some of
this.

Hell, I have two 3' 24db 2.4g parabolic dishes (giant cooking grills)
that would be perfect for a 14 mile line-of-sight shot... but placing
these antennae high enough tends to make homeowners associations quite
mad. It's also impossible to really do anything with external antennae
when you're renting rather than owning.

It's also a bit involved to get the pieces together (power-over cat5,
weather ready 802.11 AP, antenna coax adapter, LM500 coax, lightning
arrestor, and the 2.4Ghz antenna) and put up between two points, and do
it right - particularly with the lightning in Tampa.

There are a number of wireless providers in the area that you can
already get service from as well. The primary goal of a public project
like this would be to give entire neighborhoods low-cost wireless, not
merely benefit a few geeks that happen to have the right toys. Truely
public wireless internet access. I can point to dozens of places that
have it now (Portland, Aspen Co, Athens Ga, etc etc etc), but there was
a real grass-roots effort of time and money to bring those to fruition.

So, who else is really willing to commit to something like this? Do we
have the critical mass and any real interest to push forward with such
an effort? To date, I really haven't seen the interest in Tampa.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 16:11, cwc@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> I think for a SLUG ISP, wireless would be the only affordable way to go.
the
> cost would go to each user, to buy a wiresless card, and a decent antenna.
The
> other major chunk would go to renting a dish on a tower(s) to beam to us
our
> respective protocols. this could at least serve a larger area per cost
then
> renting CLEC or ILEC phone/isdn or cable equipment. If the rented
dish(es)
> and other equipment needed is pro rated through a loan <perhaps an
entrepeneur
> loan via our gov't?> just consolodate loans, and if we have enough users
that
> pay the month fee <is 30-40 within reason for wireless broadband?>, it
doesn't
> sound that far fetched. The worst thing is coming up with the loan/lease
for
> equipment.. but alas, im not even sure of the prices... although they
> probably go up everyday. :-P anyways.. have fun SLUG humans
:)
> -craig
>

> > On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 12:37, Mikes work account wrote:
> > > Why not invite all SLUG's everywhere to join? Think of it,,An all
Linux

--
Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
Networked Knowledge Systems