Re: [SLUG] Implementation - encrypted passwords:explaine the mystery

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 13:45:32 EDT

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 01:22:19AM -0400, patrick grantham wrote:

> I have never in three years been able to get a winbox and a linux samba to
> talk successfully using encrypted passwords; what's the secret? If the
> sites I have set up the passwords are only local, but it bugs me that I have
> not been able to do this. Any advice?

It's deep magic to me, but I know it can be done. Where I run Samba,
it's on very small networks I control, and I ensure that encryption is
not used for passwords. I don't really follow this much, but I think the
biggest problem with encryption is on W2K and the like. I think the
older NT servers are easier. Matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, the
Samba docs address this problem extensively.

Sorry, wish I could be of more assistance, but I don't do this stuff for
a living.

Paul