Re: [SLUG] Name-based hosting limitation

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 23:39:54 EDT

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Seems to me I recall reading something about some thing(s) you can't do
> with name-based hosting. By that, I mean hosting not based on a fixed IP
> address, but on just the name. Something like you couldn't do SSL or
> somesuch. Can't for the life of me recall what it was. Anyone know the
> answer or a link?

SSL certificate transactions are harder [impossible as far as
I can see from the protocol] (multiple certificates setup is
non-clear in Apache -- the authentication IP to Host reverse
lookup is over by the time the lock wants to close (and thus
before the sub-host specification -- but it _may_ be possible
to finesse this), and this is before the dialog on the server
name is done.);

ftp servers have problems here, for there is no query for
(virtual) remote host name in the dialog within the protocol.

-- Russ herrold