Re: [SLUG] another little tidbit

From: Jan Mason (td376@mail.anonymizer.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 13:16:27 EDT

~From the book:

PRINT FONTS/TEST Button

The LaserJet Series II printer provides three types of print tests: a
comprehensive printout of all fonts; a single-page printout with key
summary data; and a continuous printout test pattern. What is confusing
is that all three test are generated by pressing the same button: Press
the PRINT FONTS/TEST button and then quickly release your finger. This
generates the comprehensive fonts test; holding the button slightly
longer and then releasing it activates the single-page print test;
holding the button still longer iniates the continuous print test.

Comprehensive Font Test

The font test gives a sample of: all six internal fonts (i.e.; those
built into the printer); and all soft fonts that have been permanently
downloaded to the printer's memory. The test is used to verify that a
cartridge is operating properly, and that a soft font has been correctly
downloaded in its entirety.

To generate a font test, take the printer off line and press the PRINT
FONTS/TEST button once. Do not hold it, or it may shift into the single
page or continuous print test mode. The LCD display will read

06 font printout

The report will first list all Portrait orientation fonts, starting with
any permanently downloaded soft fonts residing in the printer's memory,
proceeding to fonts in the left cartridge, followed by fonts in the
right cartridge, and concluding with the resident or internal fonts
supplied with the printer. The series is the repeated for each of the
Landscape fonts. Each font has an ID number followed by information
about typeface and weight, the pitch, point size, syhmbol set, and a
print sample.

Single Page Printout with Summary Data

The single-sheet general test runs the self-diagnostic program and
prints out a full set of characters in the default Courier 10-pitch
Portrait font. The print test also includes key information, such as
page count, the amount of memory, and all options that have been set in
the control panel menu system. Use the print test to check the print
quality after installing a new EP cartridge, or as a diagnostic tool if
the printer fials to print from a particular piece of software. A
successful test will eliminate the printer engine as a potential source
of the difficulty.

The general print test is generated when you take the printer off line,
then press and hold the PRINT FONTS/TEST button until the

05 SELF TEST

message appears in the LCD display. Release your finger. All four
lights on the panel will glow, and in about 25 seconds the display will read

06 PRINTING TEST

The test is complete when the page is ejected from the printer, at which
time the LCD display will read

00 READY

Continuous Print Test

To generate a continuous series of print test sheets, press and hold the
PRINT FONTS/TEST button until the

04 SELF TEST

message is displayed. Release your finger, and the printer will
generate pages filled with the Courier charcter set. The continuous
print pages are similar tothe single-page print test, but lack the
summary information in the top portion.

NOTE: The LaserJet will continue to print test pages until you stop the
test by pressing the ON LINE button.

The continuous print test is used to check the consistency of the
engine. It is also helpful if the toner were to spill inside the
printer (most commonly if it is transported with an EP cartridge
installed). The continuously printed pages will help mop up the excess
toner and clean out the paper path.

If you need more info let me know. Hope that helps.

A2L1 wrote:
| I am having a few small problems, well two actually.
| The printer prints just fine but I cannot find out how
| to print/get a list of the standard fonts, there are
| 36 on this one. The other is that the page prints in
| entirety but uses only about 1/2 the paper page. It
| prints just off left center and up leaving a large
| border on the bottom and right. I have the service
| manuals(on cd) and there is no mention of either of
| these issues.
| In win98 the page prints fine so I suspect a problem
| with either the driver or settings in linux. This is
| on my test box and that has Mandrake 8.2 on it. There
| was no problem with identifying the printer or the
| print command, just as mentioned the size of the page
| print in correlation to the paper size. I would like
| to know what fonts are loaded and their sizes and
| correct the printing/page size
|
| Thank You,

- --
Jan Mason