Re: [SLUG] options 2

From: awyatt@fewt.com
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 15:01:47 EDT

Would make a great text only Linux box. Drives are CHEAP on ebay..

Power Supply: $19.00, example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 44599216

1GB Hard Drives: $12.99, example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 44633123

-Andrew

You Wrote:

DATE: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:38:37
FROM: A2L1 A2L1@gte.net
TO: slug@nks.net
SUBJECT: [SLUG] options 2

I also have an extensa ---missing a HDD and was wondering
if it was worth buying a HDD for it. The Everex has a 110
power supply and a dead battery (works plugged in only and
this TI extensa doesnt have a external power supply or HDD
and a bad battery. Before I either buy stuff (HDD power
supply etc) or junk it I would like to explore
options/costs.
I have checked online for batteries but not HDD (yet) but I
digress --- the specs on the extensa are

100 MHz Pentium
24 MB RAM
810 MB HDD
6x Torisan CD-ROM (swappable with floppy drive)
3.5 inch floppy drive
11.4 inch (diagonal) dual-scan color display (Cirrus Logic
CLGD7543 chipset, 1MB video RAM)
"Glidepad" touchpad.
1 NiMH battery

1 serial port (male, 9 pin)
built-in stereo speakers with output jacks, sound card
built-in microphone with input jack
1 type III or 2 type II PCMCIA card slots
1 parallel port (female, 25 pin)
1 video output port
1 keyboard/mouse port
IR transfer port

with the above information would it be worth it (cost) to
update/buy the necessary parts and install an OS? I believe
the extensa to be a better candidate but I would also have
to spend more to get it functional (HDD/110
powersupply-charger). I'm just trying to explore options
here and see if either is worth putting the bucks in to get
a functional unit.Does anyone know if it is possible/where
to trade the Everex for the parts to make the extensa
usable??Finally what if any distro (with X) will work on
the extensa?? Thanks for all the help so far.
I have done a few searches on google but can only come up
with some very dated stuff -- seems like Redhat 3.- will
work on the extensa--- would a later version work/load??
Anyway I dont want to take up the space and time with more
questions --- thanks

A J

- --