[SLUG] Standards

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 09:17:40 EDT

Hi All:

I know that this has nothing to do with Linux as such but then again it sure
does make one appreciate Linux.

Back when I was studying electrical engineering computers hardware and
software were part of circuits. Computers were composed of discrete
components and programed in assembly language. Standards for all electrical
apparatus including computers was and still is maintained by the IEEE.

I just attempted to purchase a set of standards from the IEEE.

Full set one person $4000.
Industry specific group (approximately 10% of total) $1500.
Individual standards $60 to $600 each.

Now one must realize the IEEE cost of the standards is the same as the Linus
comunity cost of "How to" documents and "Man Pages" and have the same
relation to other electrical devices as these do to Linux. As far as cost
what ever cost that was incurred was bore by the individuals composing the
standards not the organization.

With cost like this for basic services one can only wonder why one should
maintain a membership.

Frank