Re: [SLUG] Java

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 11:29:03 EDT

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 11:10, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> By accident I just found that one may download Java from Sun free at:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html
>
> Only problem is I have no idea what the differences is in JRE and SDK.
>
> Any enlightenment as to which would be the correct script to download would be
> appreciated.

The SDK (often called "JDK") includes JRE.

The Java Software Development Kit is just that - a development kit. It's
meant for people developing java programs. It includes the java
compiler, demos, and other programming bits.

The Java Runtime Environment is the virtual machine, libraries, and base
classes needed to run compiled Java class/jar/etc files.

If you just want to run Java applications, you don't need the full JDK,
just the JRE.

 - Ian C. Blenke