Re: [SLUG] SysLog - not to messages

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 10:01:24 EDT

You need to configure your syslogd to store the messages elsewhere.
You need to edit your /etc/syslog.conf configuration file.

All syslog messages are stamped with a {facility}.{prority} pair.

The messages you are filtering are of the facility type "kern". You
probably want "kern.info" for packet logs, but you may wish to redirect
all "kern.*" messages to another file.

Find the line that says /var/log/messages. Add "kern.none". This should
stop the above messages making it into the messages file.

Add a line to store the packet logs to another file:

        kern.* /var/log/kernlog

Debian includes this by default.

You will also want to add this new logfile to your logrotate scripts so
this file doesn't grow out of control and eat all available disk space.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com