Re: [SLUG] School Project - Final Update

From: Mark (mark@bish.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 12:57:50 EDT

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> > *stuff I also believe*
> >

> Yes it's rude. But if the children get the benefit of the technology,
> the school system gets the benefit of the cost savings, and the
> community (not SLUG, the greater community) gets good press, then the
> effort has paid-off handsomely.

Ohh bullsh*t, I'm in it for the glory. *just kidding*

> We can choose to dislike David for his attitudes and practices, but he
> did a good thing (even if for the wrong reasons).

Yeah, but if you don't do it for the right reasons why do it at all?

> Lacking the hacker ethic (as defined by ESR), David probably doesn't see
> what he did as wrong (kinda like us hackers committing ~50 faux-pas at
> the average cocktail party (for you hard-core hackers: a cocktail party
> is a *purely* social occasion (no attempt to accomplish anything))).
> Shun him if you like, but don't kick him too hard; he doesn't know any
> better.

Ignorance is never an excuse, well maybe an excuse but never a defense.
Try and tell the judge, "I didn't know." and see if he lets you go scot
free. (Full Disclosure: I've never been in jail/arrested nor in front of
a judge, just in case you were wondering. I'm an expert - I watch
CourtTV, trust me, no really.)

| Mark Bishop (mark@bish.net) | Computer Engineer |
| 813-253-2197 | Network Engineer |
| http://bish.net | Embedded Programmer |