Re: [SLUG] How to ask a question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 20:30:14 EDT

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:23:42AM -0400, Russ Herrold wrote:

> hmmm .. I have always found Rick Moen to be polite and civil
> in excess of the degree he receives.

I have _not_ found this to be the case, but then I don't personally
correspond with him. I suspect he's civil to people he considers his
"peers". And to those who are appropriately servile. My _personal_
impression of Moen is that he is self-important, and craves the
adoration of his "fans". Like Frank, I've also found this to be the case
with many university professors (tenderized or not ;-). I don't question
their expertise, but their attitude is insufferable.

<snip; Rick Moen speaking... >

> So, when I consider whom to help, and why -- when wearing my
> other hat as a member of the _technical_ community -- I do my
> best to notice who's likely to be a rewarding person to help.
> Because I'm not just talking to hear myself speak: I'm trying
> to perpetuate and further the community. Therefore, I'm much
> happier to help someone who's acting as if he'll be worth my
> time; someone who just might help others further that
> tradition, later, in his turn.

Implicit in this is the idea that "my time is more valuable/important
than yours". That's obnoxious at best, even if it's true (and in Rick's
case, I'm sure it is). The very idea of, "You're wasting my time" has
the same ring to it. Other people don't waste your time. _You_ waste
your own time by communicating with them, if you want to look at it that
way. Rather than flaming someone for "wasting" your time, consider that
_you've_ made a mistake by spending your "valuable" time on them. Learn
a lesson from it, and in the future, don't "waste" your time that way.

Yes, of course, people like Rick have limited time, and a lot of
technical talent. So they have to ration it. I simply object to being
rude to newbies or the clueless, simply because they haven't figured out
how things work yet.

<snip; Russ speaking... >

> But a lazy poster, unwilling to RT_M or to do minimal
> research, concluded it was easier to not do research and ask
> once again. I gave up posting it there, and _others_
> started doing so.
>
> The well-placed flame can burn off weeds and leeches.
>
> Rick is direct; mailing lists are direct. I can be direct.
> That is part of the charm of mailing lists <smile>

As time goes on, we're going to get more and more people who aren't
familiar with R'ing the F'ing M. I think we need to gently and politely
assist them. Those occupying the rarified heights of uberhackerdom
(where manners appear to be optional), are invited to ignore such
threads.

Paul