Re: [SLUG] A New Project!!!!

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 22:15:21 EDT

wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
> Go to this page and look up "microsats" $30k is about
> what it cost to put a microsat on LEO orbit. AMSAT had
> one launch that put I think it was 4 or five of the buggers
> on orbit back a few years ago.
>
> www.amsat.org

According to www.amsat.org, the AO-10 is 90kg plus fuel. If NASA only
charged $30K for that payload, then there was a massive educational
discount in place. From what I have heard in various documentaries, the
actual cost to NASA to loft one pound via the space shuttles is $10K
(and I think that that cost applies also to every pound of space shuttle
and crew).

--ronan