[SLUG] XML wana be

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 09:02:22 EDT

I would like to do a couple of things in XML but I'm overwhelmed with
all the stuff in freshmeat related to XML. So I'm seeking some guidance
here.

1. I would like to put my resume in XML so that I can get output in
three ways html, pdf and text. The problem is this. I have a resume that
I paid someone to do for me. It looks very nice in MS Word. two columns
etc. However this is not easy to paste into a Job site in plain text or
HTML and I really don't want to maintain three different documents. Plus
the fact it's in a proprietary Microsoft format. Since I would like to
keep this in CVS and CVS stores the complete binary file OpenOffice is
out as a means of doing this. I perfer plain text which I can edit with
VI, thus XML seemed the right way to go. I thought by using XML I would
have a document that I could manipulate however. So any suggestions on
how/what I can use to do this would be appreciated. I've looked at a
couple of solutions but I have not been able to get any of them to work
with Redhat 7.3. Edoc was one. For some reason RedHat 7.3 doens't have
Tk800.0_01.tar.gz installed and I can't seem to get it installed from
CPAN. I also found a resume program on Freshmeat that does resumes but
it's to restrictive for what I need to do.

2. I would also like to find something that would allow me to create an
XML document and export it to a comma delimited file for input into a
spreadsheet or word processor. I'm up to writing code to do this would
prefer Perl. But was hopping for a less work intensive solution.

I have the Sam's book Teach Yourself XML in 24 hours. and this has been
a big help with writing the XML. But not much help on what to do with it
other than formating it in HTML for output to a web page.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike M