Re: [SLUG] Partition Opinions

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 22:21:27 EDT

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Smitty wrote:

> I solicit any opinions on the wisdom of putting /var on a seperate
> partition or /var and /tmp together on a seperate partition. If so,
> what should the partition size be?

You can't really (reliably) put /var and /tmp on the same partition, which
is a shame. Other than that I like to keep an area seperate for them
just to make absolutely sure other critical portions of the filesystem
aren't harmed if an application goes haywire.

I use about .5G for each of those and they don't nearly get that full. I
can spare 1G on the disk so it's really not a problem for me.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com