Re: [SLUG] Partition type question

From: Jim Wildman (jim@rossberry.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 21:44:21 EDT

It's interesting that the big disk frames (EMC, Hitachi, IBM Shark)
are (in my experience) configured thusly..

Each frame is populated with disk 'modules', each of which is a pair
of SCSI drives, internally mirrored. These present to the frame as
one drive (ie 2 36G drives look like a single 36G drive). The
modules are then raided with each other, then presented to the hosts in
8G or 14G LUN's or chunks.

And the frames will have 4-8G of read cache and 4-8G of write cache.
Now figure out what the optimal disk layout is....

The OS will then usually group them back together into volume
groups, etc.

Did I get that right?

Jim Wildman, CISSP jim@rossberry.com
http://www.rossberry.com