Re: [SLUG] Partitioning (Again?!)

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 12:50:28 EDT

--- Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com> wrote:
> avoid this issue. If you do it for a bit, it just becomes a habit
> that
> "just before you log out for the night, run the rsync to back
> everything
> up."

You could easily write a script that prompted you to run rsync whenever
you ran "halt." I wonder if you could do that with a graphical manager
like gdm? Probably...

> Two problems:
>
> 1) those "built-in RAID" are invariably all software-RAID that are
> only
> supported through Windows-only drivers.

Well, not all of them, but support under Linux has headaches sometimes.
 Plus, on-board RAID is probably going to be nothing but a fake BIOS
trick that is all software controlled.

On the other hand, 3ware has true hardware RAID cards and fully
supports linux--even with open source drivers.

> 2) if there's filesystem corruption of some sort due to a software
> failure scrambling the filesystem, not hardware failure, the RAID
> will
> just mirror that failture onto both drives.

=====
Justin Keyes | m9u35@yahoo.com
Saying that the constitution is a "living, breathing document" is the same thing as saying that there is no constitution. How would you like to play poker with rules that are "living?" (Walter Williams, Rush Limbaugh Show, 17 June 2002 broadcast)